Thursday, October 27, 2011

Topeka, Kansas 1952

Yesterday I woke up to thunder.  I took that as a clue to stay home and work.  It doesn't hurt that I spied an auction Sunday in southern Missouri which advertises. . . *be still my beating-out-of-my-chest heart*. . . feedsacks!  Sigh.  :)  So, I skipped out on the farm auction north of Kansas City and was able to plan for this week's listings.

So, while I was pawing through my storage tubs, I came across a large bag of vintage feedsack quilting material cut up into various blocks, triangles, yo-yo's and such obtained way back in the Spring at a farm in Hiawatha, Kansas.  That was the auction that had a plethora of deer heads as evidenced here:


Remember when I mentioned earlier that every single farm auction has deer heads?  You may be interested to know, or you may not as I wish I didn't know, that the woman who purchased the slew of deer heads planned to "plant" them in her garden with just the antlers sticking out of the ground.

Hmmm.  I'll let you stew on that for a bit before continuing.



So back to my delightful bag of feedsack fabric. . . while I was digging around, I noticed a few pieces with sharp edges, so I pulled them out.



Attached to heavy card stock were small squares likely cut out for use in a quilt block pattern, no doubt, but what I loved most is the story.  It was 1952:



in Topeka, Kansas; March, to be exact, when Alice penned a letter to her mother.  She wanted to be sure that her mother knew that Patti and Buell were written to alerting them of the Santa Fe sale.  Alice mentioned that Babs and Leroy will be visiting in May and that the folks may come soon, too, but first are home selling off furniture, etc.  It appears her husband's name is Jimmie, and he just talked with Karl about Karl's new calf which had yielded them 5 gallons of milk.

But most importantly, it was a beautiful day on March 28, 1952 in Topeka, Kansas.




And, after the thunder and rain, the sun came out yesterday, October, 26, 2011, which made it a beautiful day here, too just about 60 miles east of Topeka, Kansas 59 years later.  

To whoever cut out the blocks and attached them to this letter, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment