Wednesday, October 5, 2011

It's Vogue to be Groovy in 2011

I was born in 1970 and to me, fashions in the 70's consisted of scratchy polyester in a rainbow of colors, obnoxious patterns and chiffon ugliness.

(That's me in lovely, powder-blue polyester pants)

My mother was a representative for Sarah Coventry and also as a lover of up-to-date fashions,  so she often wore a floor-length bright pink dress in a satin-type material with an overlay of the brightest-colored floral designed chiffon you'd ever want to meet, especially to her parties.  This dress often was hanging on the clothesline in our basement, I think because the clothesline was hung up near the rafters and therefore the dress wouldn't touch the ground.  At the time, I thought that was the ugliest dress I had ever seen.

Now, I covet the dress, wherever it landed.

1970's fashions are coming back and with it, I'm reminded of my childhood days and as the years have passed, I'm starting to see beauty in the designs of the 1970's. It was with particular interest that I opened an e-mail from BurdaStyle outlining the trends for Fall 2011 consisting of fashions from the '70's.


I am loving the look:




 BurdaStyle links to a few of their 1970-inspired fashions for Fall.  If you want complete authenticity, though, why not sew from a real 1970's pattern?




And let's not forget the hip dudes out there:



The patterns above can be found in my Etsy shop here.

I have a few boxes full of vintage patterns yet to list; many from the era that is becoming so fashionable today, so please check back often!  Etsy is another wonderful resource to find the vintage fabric to complete your project.  Just run a search for "1970's fabric" or "Vintage polyester" in the search engine to select the perfect fabric for the vintage patterns!

No comments:

Post a Comment