Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Time Capsule Auction

I've been perusing the various publications that advertise farm auctions.  There is one this weekend that I *may* hit, but otherwise not much in the books as of yet.

Sometimes, I wish I could step in a time capsule (OK, more than sometimes; LOTS of times!) and go back in time.  Knowing what I now, I wish I could step back to the mid-1970's and attend my great-grandparent's auction in Sycamore, Illinois.

Doesn't this look like fun?


This is their kitchen and a place I remember well.  On the left-hand side, you'll notice a small pantry.  My grandmother stored gumdrops in a Ball Jar there and would take out the jar before we'd leave so we could grab a gumdrop or two.  :)

The white pantry behind the table had drawers below that held toys.  I particularly remember a plastic horse that I helped gallop across this floor many times!













See the shorter guy with a hat and glasses?  His name was Red Johnson and he was the auctioneer and the town mayor.  :)














Auctions haven't changed much.  There's still someone who walks around with the auctioneer handwriting the sales into a book to be taken to the clerk.  Vintage items are still placed on flatbeds and around the perimeter of the lot.  And buyers will always be there to snatch up wonderful items from days gone by.

Sigh.  At least we have the photographic memories!  :) Now more than ever, I'm in the mood for a good old country farm auction (It's been a looooong winter).

No comments:

Post a Comment