Sunday, May 29, 2011

Cheater Cloth Feedsack Top

As I have stated before, I'm a huge nut when it comes to feedsack fabric.  I think I like its' history the best followed by the grain of the fabric and finally the prints.  Oh, the prints!  There are so many designs to whet a palate that it's hard to decide which one becomes a favorite.

A few weeks ago, we were traveling down I-44 in southern Missouri and stopped at Lebanon.  Along the quaint streets we came upon a shop that was a cross between a flea market and garage sale.  Frankly, those are my most favorite because there are usually deals to be had!

I found an entire aisle full of sewing notions and fabric ranging from recent to vintage.  I piled up a handful of vintage fabric and made my way to the register.  The woman who helped me check out mentioned she had several boxes of fabric in the back and asked if I was interested in looking through them.

You don't have to ask me twice!

I followed her back and started rummaging through boxes of fabric.  She mentioned the woman she received these from was in her 80's and was an avid sewist until her eyesight became too poor to sew.  As I rummaged, I found what appeared to be a feedsack with blue flowers that will need to be soaked but then I grabbed a piece of fabric that I recognized as a "cheater quilt" feedsack.  When I opened it up I noticed it was already cut out and sewn together to be a tank top.  I immediately purchased the piece:






I was extremely excited because this is another use for feedsacks other than using them for quilts.  I can't tell you the number of times I have talked to the older generation who have told me that they grew up wearing feedsack dresses.  Many have said that they hated the feedsack clothes because they were a bit itchy and people knew that the dresses were homemade instead of purchased at a clothing store.  Those same people don't show much interest in the old fabric anymore, but I sure do!

I plan on finishing up this top with some vintage bias trim and then I'll offer it up for sale.  The cheater cloth pattern has some interesting history.  I found this website with some great information:

Cheater Cloth Information

2 comments:

  1. Terrific finds! A few years ago I went to an exhibit at the museum of the Fashion Institute of Technology here in NYC. They had a number of beautiful outfits that had been made in the 1930's from feedsacks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting exhibit. I'd love to see the outfits! It's wonderful they are being kept in good condition and enjoyed by others with the same adoration.

    ReplyDelete