Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Vintage Religious Plates

I'm going to start a new series of blogs under the label, "Collections."  If you've landed here through a link on eBay, you probably have the collecting bug like myself.  The thrill of the hunt is half the fun and coming home to fit your newfound piece in a current collection is the other half of fun.

Before I started selling vintage items, I was a collector of many things.  Seventeen years ago when I moved into my first house, I started to decorate immediately with finds from antique malls and flea markets.  First came the chippy jadeite-painted post office boxes to hold my porcelain cat collection my grandparents' purchased for me years ago at a garage sale.  Then came the composition dolls followed by DeKalb Corn collecting as well as anything DeKalb, Illinois.  Finally, I started collecting vintage religious items and ended up by loving the sweet plates with the Lord's Prayer on the front and God Bless Our Home plates.

These were easily obtainable and very reasonable.  I'm sure I haven't paid over $5 for any one plate.  I hung my husband's parents' crucifix by the front door with one plate and after filling that area up, I moved to a corner of the dining room.


When we decorated the lake cottage, I started a collection of plates for the kitchen:


This picture is a bit older.  I have since added 2 more plates to the wall area above the counter top.  When remodeling the kitchen, I pondered adding a tiled backsplash, but I prefer the visual interest of vintage plates instead.

This collection is really two-fold.  I enjoy the artwork greatly but more importantly, they are wonderful reminders to lead a God-filled life.

No comments:

Post a Comment