Friday, February 14, 2014

Using Vintage Kitchenware

I have to admit on a larger scale, the KitchenAid Stand Mixer is the way to go.  Set it and forget it.  But on small projects, I enjoy grabbing our vintage Sears Hand Mixer out of the utensil drawer and turning the handle around and around to mix whatever it is I'm mixing.  This piece was probably produced in either the 1950's or the 1960's. Of course the wood-handled utensils are much older, but I like this one because it has a finger grip that comes in quite handy.


"Sears" is embossed on both sides of the handle, as well.


It's just one of those things that helps connect me to a generation or two before.  This is kin to hand-washing dishes.  My grandmother moved into a condo that finally had a dishwasher but does she use it?  No.  She prefers the way she's always done dishes and that's by hand.  She feels she can get them done faster and put away far ahead of the time it would take to load the dishes in a dishwasher and run it through a cycle.

When we go down to the lake cottage, I have to hand wash the dishes because we don't have a dishwasher.  A few years ago when we remodeled the kitchen, my husband wondered if I'd like to have a dishwasher installed and I said no because really, I enjoy doing it the old-fashioned way.  But that's pretty much just down there.  At home I like the modern conveniences for the most part except for this hand mixer.  This has sure gotten a lot mileage lately!

Do you have a vintage item in your kitchen you choose to use over something current?

If you noticed the pie plate, I have two and they will be going into the antique shop for March's First Friday. Message me if you'd like first dibs on them!



No comments:

Post a Comment