Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Auctions Are Back!

The farm auctions are back!  The farm auctions are back!  I'm so excited that I needed to say that twice!! (And show two exclamation points!)

So, I found an auction Saturday in north-central Missouri.  My husband and I attended an auction in this same vicinity last Fall.  It was a 3+ hour drive one-way and was an incredibly tiring day, but I loved it!  The same auction company is hosting this auction which includes an entire 1895 church's belongings so they can continue to afford the upkeep of the cemetery.  Evidently the church is no longer in service.  So not only is there an entire estate of belongings, but also the contents of an old church!

I'm stoked.



Anyway, I was looking through the photographs listed for the auction and came upon this:


The picture looks like it was taken in the late 1800's. I'm particularly drawn to her adornments including the feather in her hair and the flower on her bodice.  It is easy to look at the fashion trends today and feel like we're on the cutting-edge, but really, life and fashion are all about repetition.


This photo is pinned on one of my Pinterest boards as a tutorial on how to make fabric flowers.


Here's another.

So you see, we're not boldly crafting and adorning where no man has crafted or adorned before.  We're simply following in the footsteps of those who have gone before us. The antique photograph above intrigues me.

I wonder if she crafted her pin and hair piece?

No comments:

Post a Comment